Episode 294

Episode #294: Edwin Kwan: Over 50% Insider Attacks Involve Privilege Elevation Exploits; Katy Craig: Malware Deployment Strategy against Adobe ColdFusion; Ian Garrett: Where Will Cyber Leaders Focus on AI in 2024; Marcel Brown: This Day in Tech History

Free, ungated access to all 290+ episodes of โ€œItโ€™s 5:05!โ€ on your favorite podcast platforms: https://bit.ly/505-updates. Youโ€™re welcome to ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜ if your followers will find this of value.

The stories weโ€™re covering today.

Marcel Brown: December 14th, 1902. The cable ship Silvertown begins laying the first Transpacific telegraph cable from San Francisco, destined for Honolulu, Hawaii. On January 1st, 1903, the connection between Hawaii and San Francisco was established.

Edwin Kwan: A research study based on data from January 2021 to April 2023 shows a rise in insider threats, with 55% relying on privilege escalation exploits and the remaining 45% introducing risk by downloading or misusing offensive tools.

Katy Craig: โ€ŠIn June 2023, cybersecurity incidents shook the digital landscape โ€Šas threat actors exploited a vulnerability in Adobe ColdFusion. The attackers executed a calculated malware deployment strategy. They exploited the Adobe ColdFusion vulnerability to introduce malware, including a remote access Trojan using HTTP POST commands.

Ian Garrett: AI has emerged at the forefront of cybersecurity megatrends for 2024. An overwhelming 93% of respondents anticipate Generative AI, like ChatGPT, impacting their business strategies within the next 5 years, with 89% already incorporating AI into their R&D efforts.

About the Podcast

Show artwork for It's 5:05! Daily cybersecurity and open source briefing
It's 5:05! Daily cybersecurity and open source briefing
Your daily open source and cybersecurity news update

About your hosts

Profile picture for Pokie Huang

Pokie Huang

Profile picture for Mark Miller

Mark Miller